Family Crest

The Poulton Hall website

HOME
Pictures
The Hall
Outbuildings
The Gardens
The Estate
The Family
Bells & Whistles
Historical Connections
Related Buildings
Links

Related Buildings

St Andrew's Church, Bebington

St Andrew's, Bebington

In 1093 this was the Chapel of Bebington or "Capella de Bebintone" as recorded in the chartuary of St Werburgh (the abbey of St Werburgh later became Chester Cathedral). In 1093 Scirard de Launcelyn gave the living of the chapel to the abbey, and this is the earliest written evidence of the Launcelyns having been established at Poulton (or "Pontone" in the domesday book) presumably since 1066. The earliest parts of the church may be of Norman origin, and it has been added to in various styles, including a fine chancel rather in the perpendicular style beneath which lies the original family vault of the Launcelyns. A number of family memorials and hatchments are in the chapels and aisles. A particular curiosity of the church is the arch with a mid-air offset which links the south side of the nave to the chancel.

The Lancelyn Green Grave, St Andrews, Bebington

To the south of the church is the present family vault of about 1900 which had a second tier of white marble plinth added in 2006 to take further inscriptions.

Godstow Priory, Oxford

Ediva Lancelyn founded this after having a vision in which she was guided as to the spot where it should be. Although there is little remaining now it was a thriving establishment for some hundreds of years.

Godstow Priory, Oxfordshire

Greens Norton Parish Church, Northants.

Greens Norton Parish Church, exterior shot Greens Norton Parish Church, interior shot

The Greens of Greens Norton are recorded here back to about the 12th century with many memorials and records. Was this the Green of "Bushey, Bagot and Green" in Shakespeare's Richard II?

The Greens tomb in the church

The main line of the family died out, but Randle Green, by then living in Congleton, Married Elisabeth Lancelyn, sole surviving heiress of the Lancelyns in 1577.

Cople Parish church, Bedfordshire

The church at Cople, exterior shot The church at Cople, interior shot

In 1426 John Launcelyn died and was buried here, and later his wife also. There is an exceptionally fine brass in the floor of the chancel to commemorate this, and very occasionally, on May 7th you may see his in memoriam notice in The Times (in latin)

Brass at Cople of the granddaughter of John Launcelyn who was nurse to Henry VIII Brass of John Launcelyn at Cople, who died on May 7th 1435

The church also houses some brasses recording the connection of other Launcelyns with the royal household of Henry VIII, one of which is shown above on the left.

St James, West Derby

This Church, originally with spire, was built by Mrs Eliza Thornton, the great great great grandmother of Scirard Roger Lancelyn Green, the present Lord of the Manor, and a daughter of Samuel Thornton who was governor of the Bank of England from 1799 to 1801. This church was the regular parish church of this branch of the family who lived in West Derby at 'The Elms'. A dolls' house, being a model of The Elms, is at Poulton Hall to this day, as is a portrait of her daughter, Mrs Eliza Ann Reade and her two grand-daughters. The church (with spire) may be seen on the skyline in the portrait (shown below, after restoration in 2007). The older of the two girls married Major Herbert Lancelyn Green in 1880.

Eliza Ann Reade and her two grand-daughters
Eliza Ann Reade and her two grand-daughters

St John The Baptist, Tuebrook, Liverpool

This church, designed by Bodley and containing many fine examples of the arts and crafts movement, was built by Mrs Eliza Ann Reade (nee Thornton), who is seen in the portrait above. It has recently been restored with the help of the National Churches Trust and English Heritage.

St John The Babtist, Tuebrook The Alter from the Back

Holy Trinity Church, Poulton Lancelyn

Old dower house, now the parish centre

Originally the dower house of the Lancelyn Green family, built in about 1860, but never used for this purpose, the house was used for church groups from 1968, and given to the parish of St Andrews by Roger Lancelyn Green in 1972. In 1977 it was dedicated as a church itself and fulfilled this role until 1987 when a new building was erected. It is now the parish centre.

The new church, built in 1987

The foundation stone of the new church was laid on February 1st 1987 by Roger Lancelyn Green,and it was opened on September 1st the same year, and has subsequently become a separate parish with its own vicar and vicarage and a large and thriving church community